Starting a business can
be hectic, simply because you are not really sure if it’s going to be a success
or an epic failure. What makes it even more difficult is convincing loyal
customers to turn to your product (I call them crack customers because they are
practically addicted to particular products). So what is customer loyalty?
According to Financial Times (2014), Customer loyalty occurs when an individual
or people choose to use a particular shop or buy one particular product rather
than use another shop or buy a different product made by another company. This behavior
spreads over an extended period of time mainly due to the positive experience
they have had with the product.
Anybody could be a
loyal customer, for example I am very loyal to the Clean and Clear product. I’m
literally a crack head for this product and I stubbornly refuse to use any
other product. The thing is it works for me, always has, hopefully always will.
It’s literally impossible for me to change to say ‘Mwana Mugimu’ or Cocoa
butter because I fear that my face may have an episode (break out and get
massive pimples due to a negative reaction….eeek). So there you have it, my
name is Naiga Victoria and I am a Clean and Clear crack customer (and it’s
about time they sent me some free samples….lol).
Now someone like me can
be very challenging to a new business; I need to be convinced twice as much
compared to the free spirited customer who will try anything new. Most businesses
actually shut down because their customer base was way too small to sustain the
business, or sometimes it’s simply because you are marketing to the wrong
customer. So, find out who your customer is (like seriously who are you going
to sell to if you don’t know who is interested in purchasing the product).
Speak to a couple of people, ask questions, you will be surprised at what you
may find out. Use questionnaires and distribute these to friends, family, and
sort of like random sampling.
With this, you will be
able to know who is more likely to welcome the idea of purchasing your product.
It could be the younger group (between the age of 10 to 18), middle aged,
males, females, or the elderly (yup…..the elderly). This information will help
you narrow your customer base to a more specific group called a customer niche
or segment, and you will be able to commit all your resources to suit their needs.
For example, say you are opening a boutique, find out which segment is more
likely to buy clothes that fit your idea in terms of color, size, trend. The
working class prefer clothes that are conservative (for the older ones), chic,
well fitted and trendy (for the youthful customer). You need to ensure that the
product you make is more appealing to your specific target audience and you
just might attract the ‘crack’ customer as well (wink).
So, instead of looking
at your target very broadly, narrow it down to a more accepting small segment,
give them an excellent service and product and voila…..you may have yourself
some loyal customers. Thumbs up. That’s all from me today.
Ta

hahaha i am a crack head for nutella!!
ReplyDeleteHe he....I knoooowwee
DeleteHe he....I knoooowwee
DeleteHe he....I knoooowwee
Delete